The Theremin workshops in Oxford, organized by Lydia Kavina in cooperation with the Faculty of Music of the University of Oxford, and domiciled at the Bate Collection, have already a years long tradition. But from this year on, thanks to the generosity of the Bate Collection director Andrew Lamb, we are happy to extend the program to a regular 4 days long Theremin Academy, offering a huge variety of Theremin Lessons, Seminars, Workshops, Chamber music classes, Concerts and social events to allow the participants from Great Britain and the Continent to meet and exchange.
World renowned and Oxford based thereminist Lydia Kavina and Theremin Academy Director Thierry Frenkel from Colmar/France will host this UK premiere, assisted by the British guest teacher Charles Draper and with the support of the whole British theremin community.
10 people have already signed up!
Without Touch – Anniversary Edition
10 years after the very first Without Touch Festival in Lippstadt, initiated and organized by the theremin virtuosi Barbara Buchholz (+2012), Wilco Botermans and Wolfgang Streblow, the former director of the Lippstadt music school, the Theremin Academy is proud to organize in 2017 this festive event, celebrating at the same time
- 10th anniversary of the Without Touch festivals
- 50th anniversary of the Lippstadt music school
- 500th anniversary of the Lutheran Reformation
(represented musically by its most prominent composer J.S.Bach)
Besides of the “usual” academy program: individual lessons, workshops, masterclasses, and seminars, the highlight of this 4 days lasting event will be an international gala matinée concert on Sunday, November 19th at the Jakobi church in Lippstadt, with performances of
- 4 internationally renowned Theremin soloists: Lydia Kavina (GB/RUS), Carolina Eyck (D), Wilco Botermans (NL), and Thorwald Jørgensen (NL), accompanied by pianist Ievgenija Iermachkova (D/UA)
- The “Electric Five”, a European Theremin Quartet and an electric Bass: Meike Degand (D), Martina Land (D), Trautonia Capra (D/AU), Terry Bowler (GB), Mallory Frenkel (CH/D), conducted by Thierry Frenkel (F/D)
- The “Theremin Orchestra”: All participants play together a guided improvisation after a preparing workshop in the preceding days, conducted by Lydia Kavina
- “Thereminterference”: The participants of Wilco Botermans’ workshop for experimental music.
- The “Theremin Choir”: All participants play a motet from J.S.Bach together with the above soloists after a preparing workshop in the preceding days, conducted by Thierry Frenkel