The Theremin academy has taken over the organization of the famous “Without Touch” festivals in Lippstadt, founded in 2007 by Barbara Buchholz, Wolfgang Streblow, and Wilco Botermans. Actually, this is the academy where improvisation and experimental music play an important role.
23/11/2018 10h –
The academy will be held at the Conrad Hansen Music School,
Von-Galen-Platz 1, 59557 Lippstadt, Germany
For the grand public
- Public presentation of the Theremin: Wilco Botermans and Thierry Frenkel will tell about its history and principle of operation and demonstrate everything. The public may ask questions and try out the instrument afterwards. (Friday, 23 Nov, 18h, at the Aula of the Lippstadt Music school)
- Theremin & Shakuhachi concert by Shakuhachi master Dr. Jim Franklin on Saturday, 24 Nov, 18h30, at the Lippstadt Music school
For the participants
The basic package which will be covered by your registration fee, comprises:
- Participation in the public presentation of the Theremin
- Free entry to Dr. Jim Franklin’s Theremin & Shakuhachi concert
- Food and beverages at the common dinner on Saturday night after the Theremin & Shakuhachi concert
- Student’s concert on Sunday afternoon
In addition, you might book the following options “à la carte”:
- Individual Theremin lessons with Wilco Botermans
- Individual Theremin lessons with Thierry Frenkel
Theremin workshops with Wilco Botermans
- Essentials: Which fx do I really need?!
- No.Delays: About using delays, reverb, loopers and echos.
- Composing techniques for theremin & fx
- Theremini: making sounds
- Multi Tracking: Recording the theremin (using Logic)
Ensemble and Chamber music class
- Electronic Ensemble (theremin & fx) directed by Wilco Botermans with everybody’s own setup – 2 sessions and performance at the student’s concert
- Chamber music class (E. Elgar: Lux Aeterna for 4-8 theremins and electric bass) conducted by Thierry Frenkel – 3 sessions and performance at the student’s concert
Theremin service and upgrade
- Upgrade your Etherwave Standard or Plus with the ESPE01 module
- Servicing / (Re-) tuning of your modified or unmodified Theremin for optimal pitch range, linearity, and volume response
All workshops, the ensemble, and the chamber music class require a minimum number of 3 or 4 registered participants. In case this quota wouldn’t be reached for a particular activity, we will either suggest you an alternative program or reimburse you.
Information for participants
Equipment and presence
Please bring your own theremin and cables. Amplifiers, music and theremin stands are available at the music school
Please make sure, too, that you can be present during the whole academy time, so that we might schedule lessons and classes without constraints.
Stay and food
Participants book their stay traditionally in the Rixbecker Alpen hotel, or via AirBnB. Food can be found either in one of the little shops near the music school, or in one of the restaurants in the city which is at a 20 minutes walking distance.