The Theremin academy has taken over the organization of the famous “Without Touch” festivals in Lippstadt, founded in 2007 by Barbara Buchholz, Wolfgang Streblow, and Wilco Botermans. Actually, this is the academy where improvisation and experimental music play an important role.
22/11/2019 14h –
The academy will be held at the Conrad Hansen Music School,
Von-Galen-Platz 1, 59557 Lippstadt, Germany
This year we will focus even more on making music together. There will be considerably more ensemble classes and group lessons on offer. In addition, individual lessons and more can naturally be booked as an option “à la carte”.
Basic package for all participants
The prices for the basic package and the options can be seen in the registration form
- Ensemble class “Belle qui tient ma vie” (Thoinot Arbeau) under the direction of Thierry, a beautiful simple piece, which should enable all participants, from beginners to professionals, to play together polyphonic theremin.
(1h + performance at the student concert)
- Ensemble class “Concerto Grosso”. Based on a choral work by J.S.Bach, the participants will work in two groups. A classical group (4 advanced thereminists) will rehearse the original version of “Alone to You, Lord Jesus Christ” with Thierry, the experimental group (all others) will create improvised answers under Wilco’s guidance. At the end we will put the whole thing together, always a piece of original, an improvised echo, etc., until we (hopefully) find everyone together in a brilliant finale. (3h + performance at the student concert)
Optionally, you can book
- Seminar Playing Technique – Introduction and refreshment with Thierry. Participants who wish will play a short piece of their choice. Thierry will point out the most common weak points and make suggestions for improvement. So everyone can learn from everyone! (1h)
- Workshop Basics of Improvisation. Under Wilco’s expert guidance the participants will learn basic techniques and elements of improvisation. (1h)
- Seminar effect devices with Wilco. Participants should bring their preferred effect devices with them. Wilco will also present his equipment. Afterwards it’s time to exchange experiences and try things out! (1h)
- Ensemble class “Schlafes Bruder” with Thierry. J.S.Bach in pure culture for 3 to 4 Theremins and E-bass. (2-3h + performance at the student concert)
- Private lessons with Wilco
- Private lessons with Thierry
- Theremin Service and Upgrade
- On Saturday evening we organize a dinner together with all participants and lecturers in a cosy atmosphere. Details will be announced soon.
The costs for this will be charged separately.
- Last but not least, of course, there will be the final student concert.
All workshops, seminars, and ensemble classes require a minimum number of 3 or 4 registered participants. In case this quota wouldn’t be reached for a particular activity, we will either suggest you an alternative program or reimburse you.
Information for participants
Equipment and presence
Please bring your own theremin and cables. Amplifiers, music and theremin stands are available at the music school
Please make sure, too, that you can be present during the whole academy time, so that we might schedule lessons and classes without constraints.
Stay and food
Participants book their stay traditionally at the Rixbecker Alpen hotel, or via AirBnB. Food can be found either in one of the little shops near the music school, or in one of the restaurants in the city which is at a 20 minutes walking distance.
Before filling out the registration form below, please read the detailed program above!